Saturday, August 25, 2012

Bakin' Bacon


Daddy had the patience of a saint and was the KING of "low n slow". He was an Iowan farmer, up at 4 every morning and by the time we lazy bums got out of bed at 5.30 he had a pound of bacon ready, a "Howdy, howdy!" and a "How many eggs to you want for brefkes?" We had bacon and eggs and white toast and grits and butter every single morning...obviously well before Dr. Oz.

I am not good at all at makin' bacon. I don't know why. When I make it for Hoppin' John I take scissors and cut it up in to inch bits and stir and stir and stir. (My world-famous recipe here.) I found this easy peasy recipe about a decade and go and it's fool-proof. I always see that a lot of people put the bacon on a baking rack and place that inside a lasagna pan. I find that this produces a dryer bacon and it takes longer to cook.  I like putting the bacon directly on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet and it works beautifully. I've never had splatters, I've never had spills and at the end you have about a 1/4 cup of bacon grease ready to make other recipes yummy!

Place slices of bacon on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Do not ! stack them or overlay them, they must be side by side.
Place in a COLD oven.
Turn up to 400 degrees, bake for 20 minutes and remove the bestest crispest bacon you've ever had.

No comments: