Saturday, November 21, 2015

My Legendary Chicken Pot Pie


I've been developing this recipe for decades and I gotta tell you, it's one of my favorite things to eat ever. It always turns out like a poem.

You are going to need:

Let’s say four big chicken breasts
Let’s say three cans of cream of CELERY soup (this is a huge secret)
Chicken stock
Chicken bullion
Taragon
2 packages of frozen mixed vegetables
1 package of pearl onions
Celery
1 stick of butter
2 cans of sliced potatoes – optional
9 x 13 x 2 casserole dish
You may not need all 4 crusts? But you wanna start with 2 boxes of Pillsbury refrigerator pie crusts
flour (don't judge me)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Remove the crusts from the box and the plastic packages per the directions of the box

My husband likes to have a bottom layer of sliced canned potatoes. I don't know that it's necessary, but he loves (!) it. To get some of the salt out of them, I pour them out of the tins, drain them, and have them to soak in water with some shakes of hot sauce while all this is going on:

Fill a stock pot with chicken stock, a couple of teaspoons of chicken bullion, a hacked up onion, and about five celery stalks cut in big pieces. I also put about 15 shakes of hot sauce in the water but my husband doesn’t know that lol.  He just always says, it has a nice kick to it ;-) Boil the chicken breasts for about twenty minutes to a half hour.

While that's going on, place the frozen veggies and pearl onions in a pot to boil in some water with chicken bullion in there or all chicken stock. It CAN come to a boil, but that's not necessary. You just want to get the chill off them.

Take the breasts out and cut them in to large chunks and mix them around with a stick of butter, salt, pepper, dried tarragon, and maybe three stalks of celery cut in to bite-sized pieces. Mix those around and just let that sit there while you do this:

Drain the veggies and the onions and mix with, say, three cans of cream of celery soup.  Once that’s all good and incorporated, dump that in the bowl with the chicken chunks.  Stir that all well and let that all marry while you do this:

Lay your crusts in the pan.  PLEASE NOTE: I've worked with these crusts for DECADES. They changed them about two years ago and THEY ! WILL ! NOT ! BE ! manipulated. You used to be able to roll them out a little and bend them to your will. Not no more ... You gotta unroll them with your hands and you're stuck with that shape and those dimensions. Don't try to roll them out at all or you'll have a mess.

Spoon the goo in to the crust. 
Flip the overhang of the shells on to the top of the goo. Take a knife and dot some vents in the top.

I bake this for about an hour.

When reheating, I spray the bottom of a cake tin with Pam, I slice a chunk and place it in there, and then I sprinkle the top with chicken stock. This helps it from drying out. I put it in a 350 degree oven (my husband puts tin foil on top, I don't) for about 20 minutes. YUMmers.

No comments: