Monday, November 2, 2020

Two Minutes of Hate? Or the Foundation for a Day of Praise & Thanksgiving

 


THIS CANNOT BE HOW WE START OUR DAY ! We've become addicted, I have. I turn on my banked copy of Rachel, I check my twitter feed as the cathode ray tube warms up, and I get my "Two Minutes of Hate" watching in, only it's an hour and a half before I turn to my prayers. Who are we going to be, people who turn FIRST to offer thanksgivings for a brand new day, brand new breathing, all this provision and luxury and excess? or people who turn to these abominations and lies that will fill the rest of our day with fear and loathing and dread and distrust. Let's be mindful please, I say to myself for the protection of my own soul and spirit. Times seem like they're going to be rough until next year, so let's be mindful to be kinder to ourselves, especially first thing in the morning. xoxo

"The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but that it was impossible to avoid joining in.

Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary.

A hideous ecstasy of fear and vindictiveness, a desire to kill, to torture, to smash faces in with a sledge hammer, seemed to flow through the whole group of people like an electric current, turning one even against one's will into a grimacing, screaming lunatic.

And yet the rage that one felt was an abstract, undirected emotion which could be switched from one object to another like the flame of a blowlamp." ~ George Orwell, 1984.

No comments: