Monday, December 12, 2011

The Best Chocolate Cookie Ever


2015: After working this recipe for at least 10 years, I have some thoughts at the bottom.

Hershey's has this recipe on their website and it's entitled "Design Your Own Chocolate Cookie" ... I've tried different variations? but JUST the basic recipe is honestly the BEST simple chocolate cookie i've ever had, EVER.  I wouldn't pollute it with adding ingredients. P.S.: it doubles beautifully.

Ingredients:

    * 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
    * 1 cup granulated sugar
    * 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 2 eggs
    * 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375 F.

2. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in large bowl until creamy. Add eggs; beat well.

3. Sift together flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.

4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool slightly directly on pan; remove from cookie sheet by flipping on to wire rack. Cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Christmas 2015: This CONTINUES to be one of THEE most beautiful cookies I've ever tasted in my life.
  • I use two TABLEspoons to move the batter to the cookie sheet. The dough is prolly a little bigger than a dollop.
  • YOU MUST watch your temp and time. A SECOND over 10 minutes in my oven burns the cookie and that is AWFUL and unfortunate. It's not like other cookies which are charming with burned edges.
  • The way the cookie flattens while baking, they'll often come out in a sheet. I do put them too close together, but that's only because I've been working this recipe so long that I know it's not going to spoil the cookie. When I put them on to paper for cooling, I'll let them stay bunched, and then when I flip them or even when I put them up, I'll break them then. The longer they sit out the, sort of, crisper they get.
  • This is such a delicate cookie, it's so good. Today was the first time I thought, you know, a chocolate chip would be good in this, then I let the bouquet fully form in my mouth and I thought, nah, I would never want to spoil this perfect bite.

No comments: