Monday, December 12, 2011

Oatmeal Scotchies, You Need Them Now

You need to stop what you're doing right now and make these cookies. It yields 40 cookies and it doubles BEAUTIFULLY.

 My husband's cousin convinced me, for the first time in my life, to use Parchment Paper (coupon after the jump!).  Meh.  I've used my pans for years and I feel like the bottoms of the cookies didn't get crunchy like they usually do.  I don't really see a reason to (a) waste the paper and (b) wrestle with it.  Just my humble opinion ;-)  

The "official" recipe is after the jump but I include it below.  I make no modification to the receipe, which is odd for me.  The only recommendations I will offer are these:  (1) When you double it, it's kind of alarming that you're putting six cups of oatmeal all of a sudden in the batter and it "feels" kind of dry.  Stir in as much as you can and then wash your hands but don't dry them and mix the rest of the batter with your hands.  It has a tendency to give just the added moisture you need.  (2)  The receipe says "Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls" and they mean it.  The cookies don't spread ALL that much and they don't rise all that much either.  I take a TABLEspoon and I scoop up and lump and even it off on the side of the bowl.  Then I take a TEAspoon and shove that mound off on to the cookie sheet, 5 down, 4 across and it works beautifully.  (3) The receipe says: "Bake 7 to 9 minutes for a chewy cookie or 9 to 10 minutes for a crisp cookie."  I you only bake the cookie 7 to 9 minutes, WATCH yourself transferring the cookies off the pan.  If you don't use a swift and sturdy swoop, the cookies are going to smush.  If you don't use a swift and quick dismount, they're going to break in to many pieces, so just be careful.  I suggest 11 minutes and then just know that they're going to dry out a little and get nice and crisp.  They truly are a brilliant cookie.
tfs (thanks for sharing), auntie dasch


Ingredients
  • 1/2  pound (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
  • 3/4  cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4  cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2  eggs
  • 1  teaspoon vanilla
  • 1-1/4  cups all-purpose flour
  • 1  teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 3  cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1  package (11 oz.) butterscotch flavored chips

Preparation

Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add oats and butterscotch morsels; mix well.

Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 7 to 8 minutes for a chewy cookie or 9 to 10 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

OMG. I can't wait to make these for Christmas.