Sunday, December 14, 2014

Egg Nog Cookies

Frosted Eggnog Cookies Recipe photo by Taste of Home

THESE ARE SO ! GOOD ! and MY HUSBAND LOVES-uh these ... so I guess it's a keeper ... and I'll be happy because the cookie is a perfect conveyance vehicle for a nice dose of buttercream icing :-)

I made this recipe from Social Couture / All Things for All Parties It was suggested by a girlfriend and when I went to look at other recipes there was hour-long chilling involved, some with booze, that I really didn't think would matter much to the taste and I ended up frosting them with this icing from Taste of Home (as well as the above picture)

I doubled this recipe and got 75 tablespoon-sized cookies, cookies

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • (I added 1/4 teaspoon allspice and a 1/4 teaspoon cloves)
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar (I always pass this through a seive) 
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup eggnog
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 egg yolks
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). 
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. 
  3. Cream sugar and butter until light. Add eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks; beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined. Do not overmix. 
  4. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake 20 to 23 minutes until bottoms turn light brown.
Notice it says "do not overmix" ? So, the dough was REALLY tight, I'm sure it's because I doubled it, and I ended up adding, prolly, between a half cup to three-fourths extra of egg nog.

I made this icing:
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/3 cup eggnog
In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and eggnog; beat until smooth. Frost cookies. Store in an airtight container. 

Firstly, I put about 2 teaspoons of nutmeg in there and 
Secondly, I actually I tripled this recipe thinking I wouldn't have enough and now I have enough to pave several miles of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

I sprinkled them with red and green sparkles ...

The hilarious thing about this recipe is, they bake for 20 minutes so it takes HOURS to complete the cycle and you almost forget you have something in the oven if you're not careful, so be careful ! 

I also don't know what the heck to do with them, the icing is always live, it doesn't dry, so I don't know how to store them. I covered a shelf from an old bookcase with tin foil and they're just laid out on it.

If you try them, I hope you enjoy them. They really are tasty. xoxoxo

No comments: