Friday, February 21, 2020

Ntozake Shange: Knowing a woman's mind and spirit had been allowed me ...

Image may contain: one or more people and people dancing

<< Knowing a woman's mind and spirit had been allowed me ...

With dance I discovered my body more intimately than I had imagined possible.

With the acceptance of the ethnicity of my thighs and backside, came a clearer understanding of my voice as a woman and poet.

The freedom to move in space,
to demand of my own sweat perfection that could continually be approached,
though never known,
waz poem to me,
my body and mind ellipsing,
probably for the first time in my life.
Dance as explicated by Raymond Sawyer and Ed Mock insisted that
everything African,
everything halfway colloquial:
a grimace, a strut, an arched back over a yawn,
waz mine.

I moved what waz my unconscious knowledge of being a colored woman's body to my known everydayness.

~ Ntozake Shange, for colored girls who have considered suicide / when the rainbow is enuf >>

No comments: