Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Order of The Burning of the Palms in Preparation for Lent

Image may contain: fire and night
(photo: Vince Chiumento, February 22, 2012)

All good stuff here, from our Order of The Burning of the Palms in Preparation for Lent:
<<Dear People of God: At the end of our last Lent, we carried these branches to welcome the Messiah. In preparation for a NEW Lent, the church's holy springtime, we have gathered these holy branches to be burned. Tomorrow on Ash Wednesday, the ashes will be placed on our foreheads. For us, these ashes signify an ending AND a beginning, a season of repentance, a time of purification and cleansing, a time of fresh growth.
Almighty God, you are a consuming fire and refine our humanity into the beauty of divinity; bless us as we burn these palms to the glory of your holy Name. May these ashes signify to us our mortality and dependence on your merciful providence all the days of our lives, that we may remember that it is only by your gracious gift that we receive everlasting life.
Psalm 51 below.
Bless, O Lord, these ashes, by which we are reminded that we are dust. Give us contrite hearts as we walk the pilgrim way of Lend that we might follow Christ in his ascent to glory.
God of tender mercy, you fashioned us from the dust of the earth and bid us follow your Gospel call in the Company of the Church. Look on us with kindness as we prepare the ashes which will mark the beginning of our Lenten journey. Grant that we who make the desert pilgrimage may come to the font of rebirth with a renewed passion for justice. May our offerings serve your people and bring us peace; may prayer sanctify all our deeds, and may we come at last to the table o your heavenly kingdom where you reign with Christ and the Holy Spirit, forever and ever, Amen.
Let us bless the Lord ! The maker of all our endings and beginnings. Thanks be to God. >> 

Psalm 51 Miserere mei, Deus

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your

loving-kindness; *
in your great compassion blot out my offenses.

2 Wash me through and through from my wickedness *
and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I know my transgressions, *
and my sin is ever before me.

4 Against you only have I sinned *
and done what is evil in your sight.

5 And so you are justified when you speak *
and upright in your judgment.

6 Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth, *
a sinner from my mother's womb.

7 For behold, you look for truth deep within me, *
and will make me understand wisdom secretly

8 Purge me from my sin, and I shall be pure; *
wash me, and I shall be clean indeed.

9 Make me hear of joy and gladness, *
that the body you have broken may rejoice.

10 Hide your face from my sins *
and blot out all my iniquities.

11 Create in me a clean heart, O God, *
and renew a right spirit within me.

12 Cast me not away from your presence *
and take not your holy Spirit from me.

13 Give me the joy of your saving help again *
and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.

14 I shall teach your ways to the wicked, *
and sinners shall return to you.

15 Deliver me from death, O God, *
and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
O God of my salvation.

16 Open my lips, O Lord, *
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.

17 Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice, *
but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.

18 The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit; *
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

19 Be favorable and gracious to Zion, *
and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.

20 Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
with burnt-offerings and oblations; *
then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

No comments: