Friday, June 5, 2020

Bettie Mae Fikes: We don't have compassion left anymore

Image may contain: 1 person, sunglasses and closeup

From 2000: “It’s hard to be a leader when you have a cold heart.” … Online Leadership Seminar Bettie Mae Fikes from the MLK Freedom Center
<< // I look around today and I'm looking at all these educated people … how did we end up in the shape that we are in ??
… The thing is, we don't have compassion left anymore, we don't have a love life anymore, we don't have singing anymore, we don't have the sincerity of people loving each other, and caring for each other, so what happened from 1960 to 2020 !
… The music changed … I mean we started off with all the good old gospel and good old blues songs that had meanings, and even now when I listen to old songs? From when I was 20 and 30? I can remember exactly where I was the moment I heard that song! because it was so meaningful. But now they don't have music with meaning … even when you can't understand each other well …
Singing together, it brought harmony, and that's one of the things, as a leader, that always surprises me … when you go into different countries you may not speak the same language, you have to use interpreters, but when it comes down to the music?
When I sang … I’d look at someone who could not understand the words, but the spirituality comes out, mm-hmm, and you look around and see practically everyone sitting in the audience, tears rolling down their face … now what does that tell you … we don't understand the language, but we understand the spirituality.
If you notice the sixties movement, and you watch the protesters of today, how much singing do you see … you seldom see any singing … and it’s not about “we got the a beautiful voice,” who has the best voice, it's a spirituality ! that makes it.
… It's completely different today. We have the education, the what-to-do, but we don't have a spirituality of how of how to do it … Today we have protests, but we don't have a movement, and once we can get the protesters to come in to order of a movement? we'll have a revolution … >> video here -> https://youtu.be/BCYiIBwys7Y

No comments: