Friday, December 4, 2015

Advent 1 2015 04 Thursday


it is SUCH a THURSday, right? such an inbetween! i can see the weekend, but can't taste it, and then the general sadness of the madnesses about and then some of our personal sadnesses of loved ones passing. I keep thinking of my girlfriend Elizabeth's Grandmother who makes this special cake with me every Lent. There's a point where
<...after every ingredient had been added and stirred, and before she poured the batter into the muffin tins or cake pans, she would gather us round the Very Large Mixing Bowl and then, she would tell us not to worry. That Lent was a very sad time, but that soon, it would be Easter. Jesus would play a wonderful trick on Satan, and death would not kill him. And, because death could no longer kill Jesus, death could no longer kill us. Because of Jesus, we would know eternal life in heaven where we would all someday be, once again. She would tell us this and then say, "So, laugh, children. Laugh into the bowl. Laugh into the cake. Laugh at the Devil. He can't win. He can't ever win! Only Jesus can win. Only Jesus! Laugh! Laugh! Laugh!" And, we would. Laugh. Loud. Right into the bowl. I swear people ten blocks away could hear us laugh. It was the best part of making - and eating - that cake...>
 and I think that's what's gonna get me through today.
(Elizabeth's blog here: http://telling-secrets.blogspot.com/)

1 comment:

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I love you. So. Much. (And, PS. So does my grandmother.)